Thursday, May 27, 2010

Of Death and Dying

Tomorrow is the funeral of a guy I knew. My friends fiancee'. He was a nice guy and young and he didn't deserve to die.
Every year I bury someone I know that was too young to die. Every year the pain comes back.

Every year I listen to songs like last kiss, heaven is so far away and kill all your friends and I cry and I remember all the people I lost.

It started when I was little. When I was 4 one of my cousins died of SIDS and in my scrapbook from kindy is a painting I did. It's blurry crap, like kids do but I got the teacher to write on it and it says:
"This is where they buried my cousin Michelle. I miss her. She died. She was only a baby. Everyone is sad."

So here is to you all, all the ones I remember and all the ones I was too young to remember:
Michael - who deserved to be a daddy for a lot longer
Uncle Dennis - who left a hole in the laughter
Poppy Harry and Pat - I barely knew you but what I remembered lives on in my heart
Sean -who's smile made me want to come to school instead of hang myself
Pam - who fostered my love for reading
Graham - who could fix anything but himself
Rhonda - the first adult to ever treat me like one
Mark - my first ever crush even if he was 15 yeas older than me and loved my sister
And Michelle - She was only a baby. Everyone is sad.

I hope your journey through Summerland and into the next life is a peaceful one. You still live here in my memories.

1 comment:

MedcareProducts.com said...

Thank you for your well written piece. Many of us unfortunately have read horror stories about the funeral business. Regrettably there are companies selling cremation urns online which are not much more reputable. While they spend lavish amounts of money on web sites dripping with sympathy – many of these companies are nothing more than a site that drop ships product. Beware of sellers that do not have a physical address or the names of the principals of the company on the site – what are they hiding from? I had an issue with a company called Perfect Memorials ( Perfectmemorials.com ) and there was no one from the company that would talk to me. While I could call to order an urn – I could not speak to an owner or manager over the phone – they insisted that we only communicate via email. An evasive tactic if I ever saw one! Perfect Memorials is really a company that invested heavily in the web – but puts very little into the human contact part of the funeral/memorial industry. I would be careful of Perfectmemorials.com and others like them.